I’m officially in love with everything pumpkin! This pumpkin soup is a little bit sweeter because it has apples inside but it’s so tasteful and comforting, great for cold fall or winter evenings. You feel better only from looking at it so orange, thick and silky.
This weekend I visited the organic greenmarket in Block 44 in Belgrade, that I wrote about, and bought this wonderful pumpkin. I was thinking to prepare my ordinary pumpkin soup but then I bumped into this recipe here and had to try it. I changed it a little bit to make it even simpler. It is very easy to prepare because you just put everything in a pan, bake it for 40 minutes and blend it after it’s baked, together with vegetable stock.
900 grams (2 lb) pumpkin
2 medium onion
4 cloves garlic
2 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 tablespoon cayenne
600 ml (3 cups) vegetable stock
So let’s start!
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees (392 F)
2. Cut the pumpkin , scoop out the seeds and slice the pumpkin on small cubes and place it on the baking paper, together with onion, apple and garlic cloves
2. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt
3. Bake for 40 minutes and then check if the flesh is soft
4. Transfer everything in a pot or a large bowl, add vegetable stock, pepper and cayenne and blend it with a hand blender until silky smooth
5. Pour the soup into bowls and top with pumpkin seeds, grated cheese and serve with toasted bread
This is for 4 servings.