This morning I prepared quinoa pudding with pistachios, a powerful meal that kept me full till lunch. It is vegetarian, high in protein, refined sugar-free, gluten-free… in two words Perfect Breakfast!
Quinoa is a flowering plant from Andean region grown as a grain crop primarily for its edible seeds. It is a pseudocereal and it is well known as an excellent source of protein.
Preparation Time: 35 min
- quinoa 80 g (3 oz)
- low-fat milk 250 ml (8.5 oz)
- Greek yogurt 75 g (2.5 oz)
- pistachio 30 g (1 oz)
- forest berries or strawberries 100 g (3.5 oz)
1. Before cooking the quinoa needs to be rinsed well with cold water. I use a fine-mesh strainer so those tiny seeds don’t disappear down the drain. Once washed, cook it in milk with occasional stirring (every couple minutes) for 25 – 30 minutes, until quinoa is done and milk is absorbed. Cook it well, quinoa must be tender to make your pudding nice and soft. Leave it to cool.
2. Place quinoa in 4 bowls, I like to use glass bowls so the pudding looks as good as it tastes. Top quinoa with Greek yogurt, forest berries or strawberries and chopped pistachios.
This meal can be either a sweet breakfast, or a healthy dessert.